Systems and Technologies for Energy Conservation and Management
- Environment & energy
- Principles of energy analysis and energy efficiency
- Special topics in energy management and conservation – applications
- Technology of energy materials – “Smart” materials and devices for energy saving applications
- Environmental and ecological assessment of energy systems
- Energy savings through renewable energy sources (RES)
- RES and environmental implications
- Technical, economic and environmental parameters of evaluation RES applications
- Restrictions on energy production from RES
Rational Energy Management of Production Systems
- Introduction to the energy problem. Principles of energy analysis and energy efficiency of production systems.
- The energy system. Energy chain. System theory principles.
- Primary energy and end-use energy.
- Energy balance at process and system level.
- Rational use of energy in the industrial sector. Saving in boilers. Saving on steam systems. Heat recovery.
- Heat-power cogeneration systems. Cogeneration technologies. Heat-power ratio. Three-way heat-power-cooling.
- Rational use of energy in transport. Estimation of demand for energy in transport.
- Rational use of energy in the residential sector. Estimation of energy demand.
- Energy materials technology – “Intelligent” materials and energy saving devices.
- Energy-saving policies. Energy management. Energy audit.
- Economic and environmental dimension. Effects of energy use.
Catalysis for Energy & Environmental applications
This class assesses current and potential future energy systems, with emphasis on meeting regional and global energy needs in the 21st century in a sustainable manner. To key role of catalysis on energy production and utilization is presented. The course includes future fuels employing catalytic processes such as biomass conversion, synthesis and conversion of biofuels, H2 production and utilization and clean carbon technologies. Introduction to traditional and new energy sources and their environmental impact will also be included. Special emphasis will be paid on the impact of fossil fuels on environmental degradation and the role of alternative energy sources toward environmental mitigation and sustainable development.
- Global energy overview-current status and future perspectives
- Fossil fuels as energy carrier: advantages & disadvantages
- Catalysis: basic principles and applications
- Environmental Catalysis: Emission control from mobile and stationary sources
- Catalysts for renewable energy
- Biomass & biofuels
- Hydrogen as an energy carrier
- Clean Coal Technologies-Direct Carbon Fuel Cells